Friday 28 September 2012

Book Launch Still: where Photography and Literature meet


It was my first book launch in the UK. Still, Short Stories Inspired By Photographs Of Vacated Spaces, was presented at Foyles on Charing Cross Road last Wednesday.
I didn’t read from my contribution, “How to make a zombie”, because on a night like this, you simply can’t have all 26 authors read from their work. But many of my friends were there; Tania Hershman and a handful of other authors did a banging job at reading from Still, and I was proud.
During the Q&A, I asked James Miller: “Do you laugh while writing?”
The biggest surprise of the night: one of my mates had travelled all the way from Cardiff for the event. To show my appreciation, I set out to buy him a copy and get it signed by as many writers as possible.
There was a small queue at the till. The woman in front of me looked a tad familiar. Was she one of the other authors? Since I was on an autograph hunt, I thought I might as well ask.
“Me?” she said “Oh no, I’m just a reader. I enjoyed your question, by the way.”
We didn’t say anything while she swiped her card and entered her pin. The shop attendant put her copy in a plastic bag. She was almost gone, when I mumbled to her back:
“I hope you’ll enjoy my story as much as you enjoyed my question.”

No comments:

Post a Comment