Wednesday 18 August 2010

Fresh soil

From crazy Halloween house parties in Notting Hill to sipping free champagne at Proud Camden's second birthday party; from shopping for second hand silk at Bricklane Market to drinking free cocktails at the Paramount bar on the top floor of Centre Point; from camping in Epping forest when it was snowing in January to indulging in free drinks on the roof terrace of club Aqua; from writing a novel in a pub on Portobello road to working full time as a copywriter on Tottenham Court Road – yes, over the last two years, I've seen many different sides of London (and had a fortune worth of free drinks). I didn't always have the time to blog about my experiences, but I can assure you: Debbie Did London.

London was fabulous, but it's time for fresh soil. I quit my job and moved to Cardiff last Saturday, to write my second novel. And yes, I've seen a lot of sheep and mountains already (drove up to the Brecon Beacons twice), but I've also spotted lots of students, cool clubs, fancy restaurants, cosy pubs and art centrers. I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting people, places and parties to write about. That's why I updated the header of my blog: Debbie Does Britain!

The first interesting place I would like to introduce to you is, of course, my new house. My garden, to be precise. Perhaps you remember that my mansion in Uxbridge had a lush lawn, a massive fig tree and tomatoes growing out of the cracks in pavement. I was a bit disappointed when I found out that my garden in Harrow mainly consisted of brambles and nettles overgrowing slabs of concrete, but Freddie and I found one spot that seemed suitable for growing vegetables, and worked hard to prepare it for our tomato and pepper seedlings. I even remember some crazy night gardening...
I don't know why, but the first batch of toms that I planted out there didn't survive. I watered them often enough, but the soil only seemed suitable for nettles. Because I didn't want to kill all my other seedlings, I planted them in beer cans, yoghurt pots and butter tubs and started giving them away to friends. I even left two pepper plants in the office in Central London!

When Freddie and I took most of our things to Wales with the van (I'll write about driving in Britain some other time), there were only a few tomato and pepper plants left. They'd been in their beer cans for way too long and most of the poor things didn't have enough root space to start growing fruits, but they were alive and, with some extra care and Welsh rain, there's still hope for them. In my new garden, I've got a huge pear tree and a lot of space for barbecuing or playing football, but there are no patches of soil suitable for growing vegetables. So I went to the local gardening centre to buy two sacks of compost and found myself some bigger plant pots...

6 comments:

  1. Are you going to learn Welsh? No Good Boyo could give you a few lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodluck on the new spot! It sound all to be a more earhtly environment. If the soil does not welcome useful plants I do hope it will inspire lush creative fruit for your novel!

    Grignon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip GB, hadn't visited his blog before. If he's telling the truth, the locals are a lot more heroic than I expected!

    @Grignon, I'm curious what you'll think of my first! It's got the same edge to it as "Het konijn van Troje"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, your blog is nice ^^

    xx Simonne
    http://ifsogirl91.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have a pear tree growing in our garden in New Zealand. The perfume from the blossoms was out of this world... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday, my bf and I picked pears and overhanging apples from the neighbour's tree, and we made strudel out of it with loads of cinnamon, fresh vanilla, raisins, almond and puff pastry.

    I still miss the fig tree though.

    ReplyDelete