1) Think up the story behind a picture on www.Rotten.com. This is my favourite, because it inspired me for my novel “Tale of the Fairy Teeth”, which I'm currently writing as my dissertation.
2) Ask someone you know which superhero he wanted to be when he was a kid, and imagine that he actually is this super hero. Imagine what his day must look like, being the person he is and having to hide his duties and powers.
3) Check http://google.com/trends and see which of top 10 Hot Trends of the moment you find most interesting. Then write a haiku about it (a poem of three lines. The first line has five syllables, the second seven and the last five again.)
I checked Google Trends and had a go. It's not always easy to come up with something, and this time it's so lousy that I had to write an article about Inspiration Triggers around it to justify posting it.
What the * is "Stick it"?
Oh My God I Need To See
But they're not all bad... I'm still mightily proud of my Gastroenteritis-haiku, and the not so happy love-poems.
4) Browse a list of fetishisms (e.g. on wikipedia) and imagine you've got one. Choose a genre (romance, comedy, horror, historical, fantasy, lad lit, psychological suspence etc.) you normally don't write in and write 1000 words about living with your fetish in that genre.
5) Start writing with a very bold statement about a very broad subject and write non-stop for fifteen minutes.
A bold statement could be “Love is a luxury, a needy pet that feeds on spare time and dies when it is neglected.”
After writing for fifteen minutes you can look back and edit it. If you like you may strike even the bold statement, but if it sounds right, you can leave it in. It's up to you.