Saturday, 2 May 2009

Top 5 Inspiration Triggers

1) Think up the story behind a picture on www.Rotten.com. This is my favourite, because it inspired me for my novel “Tale of the Fairy Teeth”, which I'm currently writing as my dissertation.

2) Ask someone you know which superhero he wanted to be when he was a kid, and imagine that he actually is this super hero. Imagine what his day must look like, being the person he is and having to hide his duties and powers.

3) Check http://google.com/trends and see which of top 10 Hot Trends of the moment you find most interesting. Then write a haiku about it (a poem of three lines. The first line has five syllables, the second seven and the last five again.)

I checked Google Trends and had a go. It's not always easy to come up with something, and this time it's so lousy that I had to write an article about Inspiration Triggers around it to justify posting it.

What the * is "Stick it"?
Oh My God I Need To See
Missy Peregrym

But they're not all bad... I'm still mightily proud of my Gastroenteritis-haiku, and the not so happy love-poems.

4) Browse a list of fetishisms (e.g. on wikipedia) and imagine you've got one. Choose a genre (romance, comedy, horror, historical, fantasy, lad lit, psychological suspence etc.) you normally don't write in and write 1000 words about living with your fetish in that genre.

5) Start writing with a very bold statement about a very broad subject and write non-stop for fifteen minutes.
A bold statement could be “Love is a luxury, a needy pet that feeds on spare time and dies when it is neglected.”
After writing for fifteen minutes you can look back and edit it. If you like you may strike even the bold statement, but if it sounds right, you can leave it in. It's up to you.

10 comments:

  1. You are turning into a schoolmistress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the contrary... since Freddie wanted to 'do a voice', I've written a dialogue for him... while a proper schoolmistress would have forced him to perform the tasks already, I lamely find myself shelving the story until he's ready... Hence the top 5...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, the haiku is pretty lousy. the horrid ones are better. maybe you can apply at rotten.com as their daily haiku-writer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment :) I really appreciate it. Your blog is very interesting and inspiring, especially this post. Thank you for letting me know about it.
    Have a great day!
    Giovanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fetishism one it could lead to strange stories i feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant tips -I either go on blog idea overload or straight writer's blog. Oh, the extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. George: thanks, I needed that!

    Giovanna: My pleasure, hope to stay in touch!

    Golublog: It does, it does! I've tried to combine it with your twitter magnets!

    Wow, did anyone else notice too, that these first four replies were all submitted by people who's name starts with a G?Vicky: I know, I've got exactly the same. Strangely enough, the things I write when I'm not that prolific, are usually a lot better and more memorable than what I write when I feel like it's going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote a short story the other day with the help of my friends. Stuff that they wanted to see in it. Laura wanted it to be a comedy crime, her character is a badie who likes gardening and cooking, with a strong Scottish accent and who is a secret Take That fan! Stephen wanted a good character who was facinated by the moon and starry nights. he wanted me to include a tiger, beijing and arrows! I'm putting it on my other blog little muse when i have internet on my laptop again!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. No 3 cracked me up the entire time!

    I wonder why if I do number 5 though, I'll realize sometimes later that none of my writings may actually make sense :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Belle, I'll keep an eye on your blog!

    Andhari: I just checked your blog, but your last story certainly seems to make sense. (and it starts with a bold general statement, just like no. 5 suggests! Though I doubt you wrote it i 15 minutes.)

    ReplyDelete